I have a 12 foot aluminum boat my dad bought 40 years ago and has never been registered, Can't get a straight answer what it takes?

Patrick Dean asked this on November 19, 2018 in Surety Bonds

Need to know exactly what forms are needed in order to get this boat my father gave me 35 years ago registered in my name. He died in 1990. All there is is a tag with sn.

Jon answered this on November 20, 2018


To start the registration process, you must contact the office in charge of registering watercraft in your state. They should outline the steps you must take to register the boat, including whether or not a surety bond will be acceptable to obtain a title. If that is the case, one of our experts would be more than happy to assist you in getting the bond you need. Once you have contacted the state, please feel free to submit a quote request or call us at 1 (800) 308-4358 if you do need a surety bond to title your boat. Best of luck moving forward and thank you for your interest in working with SuretyBonds.com!